Monday, May 23, 2011

Biker Ministry Along the Route - and oh my aching wrist!

Another totally unique day.  The pack pulled out on time, made all of its stops on time, had no incidents to report, and had exceptional receptions, but I wasn't in the pack.

My first full meal was Sunday night at the American Legion in Junction City.  They do a great home cooked meal too.  In Eagle Nest (Angel Fire stop) they had every imaginable home cooked side dish to choose from and several main dishes.  We definitely are served good food along the Route. 

One more day to recuperate from the stomach thing that has had me down and out.  
I've ridden the same number of miles, but separate from the pack.  
Staying ahead of them has been an awesome adventure.

I stood in the street with one of our new riders and two young ladies from the hotel for about 20 minutes waiting to grab video of the pack leaving on day 5, but they didn't come, and we realized there is another entrance to the interstate 2 miles east that they used instead.  But during that wait the  two young moms opened up to us about losing a friend to suicide 2 months ago that day, and counted Run For The Wall coming through as a way to memorialize their friend. 

A 20 year old took her own life, gave up on life.  
We talked a great deal about the stages of grief and 
how being angry at her for dying is one of the stages,
being angry at God is right in there too, as a stage of grief.
They are both working through it, and I told them both I'd be praying.


... feeling so guilty about not being in the pack, then once again, realized God can use me anywhere ... besides, you can't minister going down the road, it's off the bike where true ministry happens. 

Now on that topic, I know that just doing the Run 9 years is a ministry to some, riding safely is a ministry to others, smiling as I pass, having a good attitude, coaching other riders, etc. all are ministry.  I told someone the other day that bad things will happen, disagreements, confrontations, etc., but I just want to give a Godly response.

I've been a Christian for 33 years, and my goal has been to be Christlike in my responses.  Sometimes it's hard, I'd really rather give a thoughtless little slap, but I pray for self-control and patience. 

It's been a great journey, considering more than half of our riders are new this year.  Running down the road with a 4 to 5 mile convoy of motorcycles is a daunting responsibility, and I think the heaviness of the duties from planning and last minute decisions got the better of me the first few days on the road. 

The only thing left of my miseries is my right wrist, managing the throttle in a pack is constant throttle, unless you want to be independent and use cruise and brakes, which messes up the entire pack behind you.  Brake lights go on anywhere in the pack and they go on all the way back, frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Opinions: