Saturday, May 28, 2011

The emotions of riding across this Nation with hundreds of Veterans.

I had a position in the pack of motorcycle riders with another lady rider.  We kept pace nearly perfectly, she on her Harley, me on my sport bike.

She is active duty, I've never served in the military.

She was young enough to be my granddaughter.  I felt old enough this trip to be put out to pasture.

We shared many tears and hugs, and I know I would do it all again for her, for the willingness she has to take this time before she goes overseas again in service to our country, to ride with a bunch of old people who started this ride years ago as a remembrance of those "Left Behind."  A POW/MIA (Prisoner of War/Missing in Action) mission an awareness ride has turned into a healing mission. The purpose, get people like Michelle to our wall, she can take us forward, continue the mission in Kuwait, on her next duty station ... we can walk away knowing the mission continues.

I was honored with an over-sized plaque last night for my duties as one of the Board members on Run For The Wall.  It represents a lot of fine memories, great hard working people and nose to the grindstone challenges.  It will be a reminder to me that giving so much the last 9 years (5 on the Board) was worth it because of the Michelle's out there, and Truck, and Butch (who I met my first year), Larry from Salina, J.R., Brandon's of the current war(s).

I had to have by bike on the trailer yesterday because I left my bike key in a restaurant that didn't open until after the pack was ready to leave.  When I connected with the manager to arrange to get my key, he said he locked it in the office so that when someone returned for it he'd know where it was.  The janitor who was there cleaning when I went looking, didn't have access to the office.

I carry an extra key and it would work on the saddlebags and even to unlock my gas cap, but it wouldn't start my bike.  One person in our group could get the key to work so, he was called upon to start my bike, got it off the trailer, pulled it up to the building, left the key on, went in to use the restroom,

... and some fine gentleman (they all take care of me) turned my key off!!

In the restroom I had the thought, if someone sees my lights on on my bike they probably turn the key off, and sure enough ... when I came out and saw the lights were off, it was hilarious.  I said, "crapola!"  Probably the harshest word I've said in front of these people who have known me for years.  It's my own version of some four letter words used to express about 10 days of frustration.

So we finally got the key to work one more time, and the hubby and I did the last leg into D.C. ahead of the pack.  At this point I was so frustrated and exhausted, I didn't need to be in the pack.
My bike on a trailer - my d-i-l said it looks good there, she worries about us when we are in the pack.

One of our riders is prepared for ANYTHING.

This run has been so full of emotions.  I'm so honored to hear the stories of how people make the decision to come on the Run, where they joined us and how they found out or were invited.  I also have such a broken heart knowing the Run is changing and as it evolves it won't have the same impact or mean the same to others.  One thing I know for sure, the young people who have a passion for this event are raising up and taking the reigns.  And for that I am proud, honored and humbled.

God bless each and every rider at the Wall today - in a few hours we will pose for a picture in front of the Lincoln Memorial at the end of the reflecting pool, then we will walk the longest quarter mile of our journey to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall where we lay it all down as a collective mass of grieving warriors.

My bike sits among the others waiting to hit the road.
I pray that the tensions I have felt on this year's Run is released there, that the love I have for these people is felt, and that hurts and disappointments can be mended before each one takes their journey home.  I love each and every one of these people who throw their lives into making this work.  I pray that when the riders arrive home their families will have open arms to hold them and open hearts to receive the changed being they've become on this journey.  

Run For The Wall is not a religious or Christian or denominational organization, but it attracts a lot of strong believers who care about helping others heal.  The stories we will all hear over the next several days will help encourage and strengthen our wounded warriors who have served this country and still continue to battle for liberty.

Our Motorcycle Ministry was well represented on this Run this year, and for that we were so honored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Opinions: