Sunday, May 29, 2011

I got my plaque for serving Run For The Wall on the Board of Directors.

It was with mixed emotions that I stood on the platform and held the microphone, talking to a small percentage of our riders and leadership.  The closing ceremony was in a new location at a new time this year, so it wasn't real well attended, but some very key people certainly were there, and I was so honored.

In my "farewell speech" I reminded the all volunteer participants and leadership that the Board of Directors exists to provide resources and support to the Route Leadership.  They have no other purpose, no agenda, even though we all know that when something is changed or goes wrong the Board takes the heat.

This year's planning went remarkably smooth, we were able to work out most debated details, meet the expectations of most leadership, and follow-up on some major changes that affected a lot of riders.  Our leaders were honored all across country.

I know we saw more people on overpasses in communities that were never aware we came through, for instance in Kentucky, the State Fire Commissioner heard we were coming through and had at least one Fire Truck on every overpass we went under.  It was pretty incredible know all through that state people knew who we were, that we were blowing through their state on a mission and that we were honored.

The plaque is beautiful. 
It has a very large disc inlaid with the POW/MIA emblem and two Challenge Coins one heads, one tails.  And the plate itself recognizes my service as Chairman of the Board this year.


I was very honored at the recognition ceremony - and nervous giving my speech, but I certainly felt the support and love of the leadership and ridership of Run For The Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Opinions: