Thursday, May 6, 2010

What I Pack for Run For The Wall (along with a few lady-like items)

Well, as best as I can remember - here is what is on my bike in Phoenix, waiting for me to fly back there next weekend. 

My Olympia mesh riding pants, along with my First Gear black mesh (with zip on panel) riding jacket, in a bag strapped to the passenger seat.  I wear all the gear all the time, including a helmet.  Not saying I always have, but now I do - more to conserve I guess.
 
The older we get the less tolerance to pain.

My Gerbings cold weather heated jacket and the cool vest you soak in water and wear over clothes in 110 degree weather.

Long Underwear
6 changes of easy to wash and dry undergarments and boot socks.

Motorcycle Boots are by the bike with socks (I'll be flying to pick up my bike wearing a pair of comfortable sandals (to be used evenings along the way).
Toiletries (my fav. shampoo because I like babying myself a little on the "Run")
Very little make-up (although I like make-up, I've learned that it evaporates in the hot Sun and burns your eyes and tearing while riding your own motorcycle is totally not safe!!)
Sun Screen and chapstick
Gloves
An MP3 player for the trip to CA and the trip home. (charger fits mp3 player and phone)
Tested my CB Radio, GPS and had my oil change

I packed enough tops for 4 days (we do laundry in the room) Under Armour 2 short sleeve, 2 long sleeve and my velour vest and long sleeve pull-over. 

The new sleeveless denim shirt from RFTW Merchandise, and my Run For The Wall Vest.

My treasured army surplus wool scarf - a gift from Gunny 2009.
Rope for clothes line in the room and "All" detergent to hand wash (shampoo works, too) Clothespins
I'll have a pair of jeans with me and my rain suit (Frog Togs) fits over my riding clothes.

In my left saddle bag - just behind me when I get off the bike - I keep my toiletries and overnight items I need, I have a tank bag for the quick cash I need at fuel stops, in my right bag on the other side, I carry my rain suit - on top easy access, my Gerbings when not wearing it and my extra cold weather clothing for standing around inthe cold.

On top of my passenger saddle, strapped down, I carry an extra waterproof bag with lots of extra room so that when I need to shed a layer or buy something new there's room for it.

I have my phone charger, my id, my camera and charger, my insurance card for my bike, all that stuff.


John Gosser, Virginia State Coordinator for RFTW filling me in on 
last minute details.  Note how stacked my bike was last year (on left)!
If I forget anything at all chances are the person on the bike next to me will remember it.  I used to ride Run For The Wall with several bags strapped around, thinking of all those things that I may not be able to live without them, over time I learned - just take the basics.


My helmet is a flip face - full-face helmet.  My first year on Run For The Wall it rained from Kansas to Washington D.C.  I had a half helmet and goggles which failed me every day!!  The full-face you get some wind air circulation to keep the fog down and no water in your eyes.  Love it!

Oops! Didn't pack long underwear - guess I'll have a few last minute items to carry on the plane.

We didn't used to fly part of the way - but our calendar and budget don't have room for the 4 days out, not this year or the last 2 years.  We leave Phoenix early May anyway, head to Indiana for a brief visit and for very cheap tickets fly back, rested and ready to hit the ground running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Opinions: